On game days downtown Chapel Hill is positively buzzing with
Carolina football fan energy. Alumni and fans of all ages make Franklin Street the go-to stop before and after the game. Fans enjoy our restaurants, retail stores, and family & cultural attractions, as well as Tar Heel Town on campus. Football game days bolster our downtown's economic activity and general hometown spirit - not just for visiting fans & alumni but also for local residents.
GO HEELS! The first home game of the season is this Saturday, September 3 versus James Madison University with kick off at 3:30PM. For the football schedule and ticket information visit www.tarheelblue.com.
Top Ten Ways to Promote Your Business on Game Day
1. Decorate your storefront to draw customers and football fans into your business with 'Welcome Carolina Fans' or 'Welcome JMU Fans' signs; available for FREE from Business Class, Inc: click here.
2. Offer your version of a football game day special; a special drink, menu item, Carolina blue article of clothing, etc. It doesn't have to be discounted to be a 'special'!
3. Hang a Tar Heel flag (or opponents flag) outside your business or Carolina blue & white balloons.
4. Offer a discount to customers that answer a UNC trivia question posted in your window.
5. Encourage all employees to wear Carolina gear, hats, or buttons.
6. Hold a special event, feature a musician in store, partner with a charity, or offer customers free coffee & cookies. Give potential customers another reason to step into your business.
7. Give a prize to the customer dressed in the most Carolina gear. If you are feeling neighborly, give a prize to the customer dressed in the most gear from the opposing team.
8. Decorate your store front window in Carolina blue or UNC themed items from your business.
9. Create a Tar Heel family environment - offer kid friendly meals, provide kids with Tar Heel related coloring sheets, offer kids a Tar Heel sticker/temporary tattoo or create a Tar Heel arts & crafts area in-store. Parents will shop and dine if the kids are happy!
10. Let us know what you are doing so that we can help you promote it on our website and in weekly email blasts "What to Do & See Downtown This Week!"; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking, Tailgating and Transportation Information
Special Event Parking Downtown
On home football game days the Town of Chapel Hill will be charging Special Event parking rates of $20 in the Wallace Parking Deck and Rosemary/Columbia Lot (Lot 2) for football game goers only. Customers and visitors that are coming downtown to eat and shop before the game will only be charged the standard hourly rates in these lots. All other Town of Chapel Hill off-street lots will remain at the hourly rates. Map of downtown parking lots.
Tar Heel Express - The Town of Chapel Hill offers fans and visitors many options for getting to the game from Park & Ride lots around town. Service begins 1 1/2 to 3 hours before the scheduled start of the game. One-way fare for Tar Heel Express service is $3; round-trip is $5.
Downtown Valet Parking - On home football game days, East Franklin Street valet parking will not be in operation, but we will still be offering the West Franklin Street valet parking (5PM to 11PM). University Square now allows public event parking for home football games for $20. Parking is restricted to designated areas; available approximately four hours before kickoff. Visit www.downtownchapelhill.com/valet.
Tailgating Downtown - For a map of tailgating options downtown - CLICK HERE.
On Campus Parking & Tailgating- The UNC Department of Public Safety regularly updates a complete list of on campus parking, transportation options, and tailgating options for the football games. The current listing can be found HERE (PDF). For updates visit www.dps.unc.edu.