All You Need To Know About Movies Under The Stars
If you're missing the excitement of tailgating, the intensity of the Dean Dome, or just still living off of the adrenaline of the National Championship, here's a fun way to get your sports fix this summer. The Town of Chapel Hill and the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership have decided to screen six different free movies at Wallace Parking Deck on Thursday evenings throughout the summer, all under a sports theme! Grab your kids, get some take-out from a restaurant downtown and hop on over to the deck for free popcorn, games, and of course -- free admission to these classic sports movies. We'll give you the run-down on all you need to know about them.
6/15: The Mighty Ducks (PG)
- The first in a classic 90's trilogy, The Mighty Ducks is a live-action, family-friendly comedy about a young lawyer who is forced to coach the lowest ranked kids hockey team (he names "The Ducks") as part of a community service punishment. He happens to have a personal history with a rival team in the league, and -- though reluctantly at first -- manages to determinedly lead The Ducks through the season while boosting the players' confidence.
6/29: The Karate Kid (PG)
- Though you probably know what this one is about, here's a short synopsis anyway: When high school senior Daniel LaRusso and his mother move from New Jersey to California, Daniel is taunted by bullies who study karate. In order to get stronger to match them, he seeks the mentorship of Mr. Miyagi, a martial arts master who works as a repairman and teaches him countless lessons, both in karate and in life.
7/13: Kicking and Screaming (PG)
- In this feel-good comedy, father Phil Weston (played by Will Ferrell) ends up coaching his son Sam's last place soccer team, the Tigers, after Sam was kicked off of the first place team, coached by Phil's father. When he realizes he knows nothing about sports, Phil enlists the help of Mike Ditka, of the Chicago Bears, to carry the team to victory through all the comedic ups, downs and in-betweens.
7/27: Cars (G)
- In this cute animated film, a race car named Lightning McQueen gets stuck in a small, run down town called Radiator Springs on the way to the Piston Cup Championship. Though frustrated with himself and the cars around him at first, Lightning ends up making lifelong friends in the little town and becomes less narcissistic and more understanding along the way.
8/10: Space Jam (PG)
- True to our basketball roots, we had to include Michael Jordan's moment of film fame. In this light-hearted fantasy, Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes end up playing a basketball game to determine their fate after being kidnapped by evil aliens. While the other team enlists the help of Larry Bird and Charles Barkley, Bugs recruits Michael Jordan to help them win.
8/17: Remember the Titans (PG)
- In this Virginian town, everything revolved around high school football. In 1971 when integration of schools was occurring and two schools came together, relationships, jobs and the tradition of football were put to the test when both the players and the faculty had to put aside their differences for the sake of the team while fighting against a racist society.