TAR HEEL DOWNTOWN is bringing the Carolina game day spirit to the heart of downtown Chapel Hill on Thursday, October 17 from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm with free family-friendly activities before the UNC vs. Miami football game - an ESPN College GameDay! Activities include live performance from Liquid Pleasure, bounce houses, a rock climbing wall, and face painting. The pre-game show will be broadcast live from the 140 West Plaza and shown on a giant digital screen. Meet UNC athletes and of course...Rameses! www.tarheeldowntown.com
Tar Heel Downtown is a unique opportunity to bring people off of campus and on to Franklin Street to enjoy all our downtown has to offer. The event is a draw for customers to make an entire outing downtown - patronizing your business.
We are promoting this as a family-friendly evening in downtown Chapel Hill that offers free event activities and shopping & dining opportunities at all our businesses; not just those in the event area.
An economic impact study done in 2008 conservatively estimated the total economic impact of a home football game day on the Chapel Hill and Orange County economy at $6,270,715.
We want to feel that impact on Franklin Street!
Ten Ways to Promote Your Business on Game Day
1. Promote Tar Heel Downtown through all of your communication channels including social media. Tell your customers that Franklin Street is the place to be that evening!
2. Offer a game day special! A special drink, menu item, Carolina blue article of clothing, etc.- doesn't have to be discounted to be a 'special'.
3. Hang a Tar Heel flag or Carolina blue & white balloons outside your business. Create a game day window display with Carolina blue items, UNC themed items from your business, or Zero Dark Thursday inspiration. ESPN will be gathering video footage of downtown all day long - make your business stand out!
4. Decorate your storefront with 'Welcome Carolina Fans' or 'Welcome Miami Fans' signs.
5. Encourage all employees to wear Carolina gear, hats, or buttons. Have them stand outside your business offering samples, flyers for future events or coupons.
6. Feature a musician in store, partner with a charity, or offer customers free coffee & cookies. Give potential customers another reason to step into your business.
7. Give a prize to the customer dressed in the most Carolina gear. If you are feeling neighborly, give a prize to the customer dressed in the most gear from the opposing team.
8. Put a Carolina trivia question on your sandwich board offering customers a discount if they get the answer right.
9. Create a Tar Heel family environment - offer kid friendly meals, provide kids with Tar Heel related coloring sheets, offer kids a Tar Heel sticker/temporary tattoo or create a Tar Heel arts & crafts area in-store. Parents will shop and dine if the kids are happy!
10. Let us know what your business is doing so we can promote it too.
The Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership works to bring the resources of the Town, University and downtown community together to maintain, enhance and promote downtown as the social, cultural, and spiritual center of Chapel Hill through economic development. Contact Meg McGurk at 919-967-9440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.