On Thursday, October 17th the UNC Tar Heel Football Team will take on the Miami Hurricanes in Kenan Stadium. This Thursday night game will be an ESPN College Gameday event with live, national coverage; only the second time in our school's history. www.goheels.com
Franklin Street will host Tar Heel Downtown, a family-friendly event from 4 pm to 7 pm; kick-off for the game is at 7:45pm. Tar Heel Downtown will feature:
- Live broadcasting of The Countdown to Kickoff Show
- A stage with performances from the band Liquid Pleasure
- Carolina Cheerleaders, The UNC Marching Tar Heel band, and of course Rameses!
- Family-friendly activities will include bounce houses, a climbing rock wall, and face painting.
- Carolina giveaways from the Rams Club and Department of Athletics.
An economic impact study done in 2009 conservatively estimated the total economic impact of a home football game day on the Chapel Hill and Orange County economy at $6,270,715. (Study at www.downtownchapelhill.com/studies). And we want to feel that impact on Franklin Street!
We believe this is a great opportunity to bring community families, alumni, fans, and families off of campus and on to Franklin Street on a crisp, fall evening to shop and eat - and enjoy what our downtown has to offer.
- UNC's Fall break for students starts the day before on Wednesday, October 16.
- West Franklin Street will be closed from 4 pm to 7 pm; from Columbia to Mallette streets. (event map)
- Activities are centered at University Square. All event set up will be done off the street prior to 4 pm. The street will reopen at 7 pm.
- Porta Potties will be provided for event-goers.
- Chapel Hill Transit will reroute two bus routes and operate Tar Heel Express shuttles to the event. (Details)
We hope you'll join us in making this event a success for our downtown. As more logistical details become available we will share them with you. If you have questions please contact Meg McGurk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-967-9440. Please visit www.tarheeldowntown.com.