Tar Heel Downtown - Promotional Information
The Downtown Partnership believes this is a great opportunity to bring people off of campus and on to Franklin Street on a crisp, fall evening to shop and eat - and enjoy what our downtown has to offer.
The event is a draw for customers to make an entire outing downtown - patronizing YOUR business.
We are promoting this evening to game attendees and the entire community—as a family-friendly evening in downtown Chapel Hill that offers free event activities AND shopping and dining opportunities at all our businesses; not just those in the event area.
An economic impact study done in 2008 conservatively estimated the total economic impact of a home football game day on the Chapel Hill and Orange County economy at $6,270,715. (www.downtownchapelhill.com/studies). And we want to feel that impact on Franklin Street!
Top Ten Ways to Promote Your Business on Game Day
1. Promote Tar Heel Downtown (www.tarheeldowntown.com) through all of your communication channels—including social media. Tell your customers that Franklin Street is the place to be that evening!
2. Offer your version of a football game day special; a special drink, menu item, Carolina blue article of clothing, etc. It doesn't have to be discounted to be a 'special'.
3. Hang a Tar Heel flag (or opponents flag) outside your business or Carolina blue & white balloons. ESPN will be gathering video footage of downtown all day long - make your business stand out!
4. Decorate your storefront to draw customers and football fans into your business with 'Welcome Carolina Fans' or 'Welcome Miami Fans' signs.
5. Encourage all employees to wear Carolina gear, hats, or buttons. Have them stand outside your business offering samples.
6. Hold a special event, feature a musician in store, partner with a charity, or offer customers free coffee & cookies. Give potential customers another reason to step into your business.
7. Give a prize to the customer dressed in the most Carolina gear. If you are feeling neighborly, give a prize to the customer dressed in the most gear from the opposing team.
8. Decorate your store front window in Carolina blue or UNC themed items from your business.
9. Create a Tar Heel family environment - offer kid friendly meals, provide kids with Tar Heel related coloring sheets, offer kids a Tar Heel sticker/temporary tattoo or create a Tar Heel arts & crafts area in-store. Parents will shop and dine if the kids are happy!
10. Let us know what you are doing so that we can help you promote it too!